Sunday, August 28, 2011

Every Client is an Opportunity to Improve


Turning a complaining customer to a positive experience!
I think that is probably the hardest thing to do for online businesses.  I have had my share of complaints that's for sure.  But I have to say that I really do try to turn every contact into an opportunity to improve my product or increase my service.  I see that every client contact is an advertising expense that is more valuable than placing an ad for thousands of dollars.

So here's my quick low down on what it means to turn every client contact into an opportunity to improve. 

Why be pleasant?
  • When a customer contacts you, they are actually giving you an opportunity to fix it.  That's a good thing!  :)  So take every advantage of it - no matter how ridiculous you think the request really is - unless you really can't do it - like I make quilted accessories and a client asked me to make a chain for her with metal.  So that's not my medium and I know I don't know how to do that.  :)  So do it. I really do try to do it.  ... 
  • It's at a loss for me... I can't offer that... Offer a refund - even if it is a loss to me.  Offer to redo the product, even if it is at a loss to me.  WHY?  well, it imagine this as a ROI for advertising.  So if the client spent $50 at your shop, it's your chance to advertise how great you are as a business, as an artist, as customer service.  So it's worth it.  REALLY!
  • The client is ALWAYS RIGHT!  I know this one is an old one.  But it is still true! So one time a client order a bunch of totes (10) in green but did not indicate a specific color.  Later she claims she didn't order it in that color.  But of course I told her that I'm happy to change them for her ... later she discovers it and reveals that she made the mistake and said she apologized profusely.  She was soooo happy with the result and service that I got lots of referrals from her as she as an event planner.  Scored!  :)  So you never know who your clients are and every client is an opportunity to improve.  
I hope this helps your business as it has helped me truly understand how to improve my business.  

1 comment:

JenJen said...

These are great tips, and so important to remember!

Thanks for sharing your post!